Saturday, March 22, 2008

self-defeat

I have a brilliant, articulate, and sharp political science lecturer for one of my courses.

This is not an anomaly, but at a university known for its post-graduate research, we do marvel when we get a great teacher at the front of a lecture hall. So often brilliant minds don't make for brilliant teachers. When a lecturer is able to cross this divide, I am grateful.

So imagine the degree of appreciation I have for this woman. It is so satisfying, so empowering to witness a reputable woman confidently leading this upper level undergraduate course before an audience of critical, nearly as sharp, somewhat younger minds.

But as every woman in this hemisphere will be, she is objectified. I would hazard a guess that upon walking into her classroom, moreso than upon entering any of the male professor's rooms who dominate the international security domain - that we sexualize the person standing at the front of the room.

Not difficult to do when she is a young, gorgeous woman. But why does our society condition us to do this? And it is not only my male peers who sexualize her - who refer to her as a babe, who comment on her walk or dress - but also my female peers. This week, I commented on how much I liked this woman's lecturing style and the girl next to me objected, saying "I can't take her seriously when she's wearing a headband."

I'll leave a space here for you to sigh.

What is it about a woman that causes her to be judged for her physical appearance before her brain. If the things coming out of her mouth are relevant, purposeful, and coherent, what does it matter that she needs a headband to help her keep her bangs from distracting her train of thought. Shouldn't she be applauded for coming to class professionally prepared to address the classroom.

If I'm not just struggling against a patriarchal and exploitive society, but also against women who reinforce this order with such a cavalier dismissal of the people who exist within it, what are the odds that I will come to peace with this civilization?

No comments: